Organising and prioritising tasks

How this began…

A large UK city council had success developing self-serve digital services, on the local council website. They had decided to focus attention to the role of their intranet, proposing a similar self-serve strategy, leveraging upon existing assets and expertise in house.

Approach

There was a two week sprint to test assumptions and provide concrete design recommendations. Working closely with the internal design and content team, I set about evaluating the existing intranet structure through desk research and an all team card sorting activity. This would give us a picture of what the new structure might look like and something to validate with people.

bcc_card_sorting

Generating content topics and sorting into categories with the team

Card sorting activities with the team took around 2 hours, this included generative session where we wrote down key content topics as we had the benefit of the teams working knowledge in the room.

sitemap

TheĀ proposed an architecture we could use to begin task testing

Using the content buckets, I mapped a proposed new architecture we could use to begin exploring and testing our user tasks against.

bcc_taskAnalysis.png

Task survey results used to validate proposed architecture

Using a task survey tool, I validated the content structure people were most likely to take, made some adjustments and began some rapid sketching.

bcc_layouts

Content priority sketches informed prototyping decisions

Using an existing component library of design assets. Clickable wireframes were created to take forward into testing.

bcc_discussion_p4-b

Discussing content priorities post tasks testing

With people using the prototype, key themes emerged such as; the desire to have very clear directory, role related content, and access to personal day to day HR tasks.

bcc_navflow

Output from the discussions fed in to how content could be ordered

The result

Priority tasks for an individuals HR needs were prioritised in the design, however additional insight valuable for later design cycles were captured in revised sketches and ideas.

Deeper self-serve functionality would need to be developed in later stages, once general content organisation could be improved.